Tuesday, December 15, 2009

its not me or how i would be...


We are different.
As people, as individuals, we are all different. No two people see things the same way.

That being said, we have 2 choices:
1. We can be bitter, i.e. we can stick to our guns, we can hold fast to our ideas and ideals, convince ourselves that we are right and that its better to stay true to oneself than to concede to any other person/ force/ line of reasoning. We can be strong, we can be stoic.

2. We can be better, i.e. we can allow ourselves to become better for it all; we can allow ourselves to be educated and enlightened by the differences we perceive and experience in others. That is not to say that we have to lose sight of ourselves in the process or even that we have to abandon our principles so that we can make room for new ones. No, not at all. But we can choose to appreciate the beauty of difference; to to OPEN to what it can offer us, whether it be a new perspective or even just a deeper understanding of one.


I am without a doubt one of the biggest disasters you'll meet (people who know me well will attest to this lol). By all standard accounts, I am a mess: I'm emotional, I'm over-analytical, I worry, I'm silly, I'm confused, I'm slow on the uptake, I'm restless, I'm temperamental, I'm sensitive.....I'm all over the place, most of the time. But I'm also honest. I'm an open book. I'm sincere: what you see is what you get. I don't play games, I don't make judgments or assumptions. I have a big heart. I'm a #2 (no, not that kind of #2, silly! ;)). I'm open. I'm stubborn--yes, most definitely--but I'm still open. I'm flexible. I'm willing--willing to listen, willing to empathize, willing to understand, willing to try.

Its funny, actually: I'm 26 right now. When I was 23 or 24 I was sooooo much more sure about sooooo many things. I presumed to know even where I was unsure. And I was more stable for it. The most important lesson I've learned in my life so far, however, is that life, people, situations, problems, they're all full of surprises--and our biggest challenge is to roll with them (and to be ok with it). Nothing is what you see it to be. Again--does that mean its inherently good/ bad? No. It means that just as things change, we have to be open and willing to do the same; not just to say that we will, but to actually do it.

Some people are always so quick to judge, to label.
Maybe the problem is not the people who have problems, but the people who are are so willing point them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.