Alright, this is gonna be a quick one. I don't have a lot of time (sipping an Americano before I start my afternoon workout), but thought "hey, its been a while, and my time is almost up here, so I'll forget Facebook and horoscope-looking up for just this one time" (I'd put an "lol" or a :) there, but its not a joke) and write what's probably going to be one of my last London-based blogs.
Like I've said before (many times), its always the little things in life that make or break it all: your day, your year, your week, relationships, friendships, first impressions, last impressions, EVERYTHING. Someone not offering to do something as little as buy you a coffee when you've just saved their proverbial ass? Someone not offering to hold the door when you're two seconds behind them? Someone not waving that thank-you hand when you let their oversized-Envoy cut in front of you, even though they've deliberately waited until the last possible minute to make their lane change? It all makes me wonder if everyday people really are as cruel-hearted and malicious as the characters in the over-dramatized (and over-acted) melodramas of the '40s--just without the twisted family love triangle/ murderous revenge plot to have it all play out against. I even find myself singing along with my frosh-week-friend, Sam Roberts, "where have all the good people gone?" every now and again for it (esp post Envoy-like snubs). Sigh, I'm just as stumped as you, Sam.
Some of the time.
Like I said, I'm sitting here, sipping my Americano--my triple Americano. Did I order the extra shot? No. But the girl that works at the cafe at my gym--the one who serves me most days, and who also made me my espresso before this morning's cardio session--threw the extra one in for free. I know, I know--it cost her nothing (just like it used to cost me nothing when I'd do it for regulars at Starbucks). But you know what? She didn't have to. Its the end of the day and I'm sure she wants to go home. Plus, she herself doesn't profit from my patronage (heck, she doesn't even know my name!). But she took those 20 seconds to make that kind gesture anyways. And you know what else? She was smiling the whole of our exchange.
And you know what else? It kind of made my day.
Saturday, July 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.