Saturday, January 16, 2010

there's only so much you can learn in one place...

These past 9 days have been......well, they've been lol. They've been challenging; they've been tiring; they've been long (verrrry long); they've been terifying; they've been exhilirating; they've been disastrous; they've been cold/ snowy/ icy (thanks to a once-in-30-years cold snap that has left most of Europe, including England, frozen in a state of chaos); they've been eye opening; they've been spirit crushing; they've been uplifting; they've been....sigh*......amazing. Amazing amazing amazing. If not for the days themselves, than for what I've learned--about London, about myself, about others, life, the world, and everything and anything else one could expect to learn in the first week of living on one's own, for the first time, an ocean away from everything they've ever known, lived and loved.

Amazing.

This post will be a little different than my others. Instead of looking back from where I'm at right now and writing about everything that's happened, I've decided instead to refer to a primary source: emails. Emails sent to my family from internet cafes written while simultaneously (and frantically) searching for a flat; emails written from the Executive Lounge of a 5 star hotel in the middle of the night after enjoying complimentary meals, lounging on leather couches in front of a flat screen and crashing on one of the biggest and most comfortable beds I've ever slept in; emails written from a teaching-agency office while I sat at a desk and conversed with its staff members about my prospects, the tube, Finchley, blonde girls with big boobs, how snow is cleaned in Canada (i.e., with snow plows lol), hair straighteners, and Danni Minogue announcing her pregnancy; emails sent from the computer lounge of the local Virgin Active that I've just registered at (and have already been to twice, despite the fact that my body is completely broken from said long week). Emails. Why? Because, as any history student knows, things are always different in retrospect.

Plus, then I don't have to write it allll out again ;)

(note: the ellipses usually indicate something that's been edited out for whatever reason)
(but note, also: sometimes I just like to use ellipses when i write. use your discretion when deciding which applies at any given time ;)).
___

Hey were here!! We totally got roped by the cab driver--he told us it cost 30 pounds 20 years a go and we ended up paying 70 instead :l I'm stressed out but what can you do--you live you learn. No more cabs thats for sure lol. I'm totally getting nervous now and its totally hitting me.....but one day at a time. We're both in a panic....but its Day 1. The lady at the b and b said that places require a 3 month deposit which is ridiculous, ao we're gonna go check that out now. I'm keeping my cool as best I can though!!! lol God help us ;) Alright, I'll write more later when w have more time. Don't worry-we're ok!!! Mel
___

Yeah so......we totally didn't budget properly. Its 6 weeks deposit PLUS 4 weeks rent. We don't have that kind of money. That'd be like 2800 pounds just in starting out living fees. So I'm here now at an internet cafe trying to figure something out. Even if we stay at a flatshare--sharing a room and then sharing a bathroom/ kitchen with someone else, thats cool for me. That'd prob be only 100 or so each a week......

.....I don't want to leave yet though. I'm going to look around and see how these things work......I'm terrified :l But I didn't do all of this to leave in one day.....In any case, I'll let you know what I find.
___

Ok you guys have to give me advice: I found some places that seem nice enough---I'd just have a roommate, someone I don't know. Or, if she stays, then....I don't know. Fuck man, its not even the cost of living thats gotten to us yet--its the 6 plus 4 weeks up front. The 6 weeks is just a deposit....

And DON'T panic yet lol. I'm still keeping my cool. I have to or I'll kill someone lol.

Ok goodnight!! Keep smiling :) :) :) mel

___

Hey Everyone!
Thanks for all the messages!! I won't reply to everything everyone said, but thanks for it all :)
Ok so I'm def moving into the place I told you about yesterday. Rosanne is going to see a place right now in the area her contract is in......if she likes it, she'll take it. If not, she'll come to the place with me.... I'm tired of being homeless. I'll spend these next weeks getting settled, figuring stuff out and, if I so choose, will move at the end of the 3 months.
We met with the employment agences today--both of them. And they BOTH sound good, both have their pros and cons. I should be able to start work by Wednesday. What I think I might do though is use Tues and Wed to continue getting settled and then start on Thurs. I want to be fully prepared before I start teaching and now I have to do all kinds of running around tomorrow to move luggage, get keys and open a bank account. However, any days I work this week I wont get paid for until NEXT Friday.....And any days I work next week I won't get paid for until the WEEK after. So I don't know. What do you think?
I'm starting to feel more settled.....I'm liking the idea of being able to unpack and get all my stuff organized, finally :) The people at all the agencies are all really nice :) :) It sounds like there will be no problem getting work and Sanza told me you ARE able to work for more than one agency--if you're not on a contract they can't really say much. That being said, I don't think I'll tell Protocol....just to keep one out of the loop (the Sanza meeting was after the Protocol and I had to tell them bc there are some docs I did with Protocol already that Sanza needs). In any case, like I said.....its looking on the up. We're getting more familiar with the Tube (although it is expensive) and ate for free today :) Teta Lililja's hotel offers free breakfast and a dinner 'snack'--which was our dinner lol. I totally packed a lunch sandwich and stole fruit and yogurt in the morning from the breakfast buffet bc they let us check in early, too. What a crook, eh? Hey, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do ;)

I'll try to run all of my errands tomorrow, but I may hold out on some stuff until I make more money. And no Mom--no credit card!!! Not happening. But thanks anyways ;)
Alright I'm using the free internet in the hotel and I think someone's waiting......call me if any pressing news from Dr T. I'll try to get on email again later, this lounge is open until 12am (our time which is 7pm your time).


Hope everything is good at Home :l
Miss you all lots and lots and lots,

Mel
PS There's more I want to say but my head is all over the place right now and I can't focus.....I need a glass of wine :l (or 6?)

___

Hi Teta,
Let me just say that this has been the BEST night :) After all of our stress, all of the running around looking for a place, all of the stress, all of the no-eating-or-sleeping- properly, all of the stress.....everything has been made better by being here. They let us check in when we came to deposit our bags early this morning so we got to access the Executive Lounge at that time too--and it is AMAZING! Not only is it beautiful in here (that's where I'm writing this from) but the food is delicious, the couches comfortable, the TV extremely flat lol, and the staff super nice. The room is also beautiful. When we got in, it was....just perfect. I think we appreciate it more for all that's gone on since we got here, but regardless of that it really is just perfect. We couldn't have dreamed of anything more. Thank you thank you thank you SOOO much!!! It has and will continue to be the best way to unwind and relax before starting the next phase of the trip, and of my life.

Alright, time to go! I want to go to bed so I can wake up and continue to bask in the lap of luxury before check-out time ;)
Love you and miss you all!! Say hi to everyone for me :)
xoxoxox
Mel

___

...I am officially nervous now :l Not bc Rosanne is gone.....but bc.....I just am. I know it'll be fine and I know I'll be fine....I guess I'm nervous about getting started and settled and getting myself established and all that jazz. I just have to take it on a one-day-at-a-time basis though.

Alright. I'm about to go lug all my suitcases to the bus stop then get on and make my way over to the house. Then I'm going to huff it to the bank, and then come back up, sign the contract and make my deposit, and then finally start getting settled. I'll try to write today but if I can't make it to the Protocol office, or if their internet still doesn't work, then I'll write a demain (yesterday they were having some problems with it).


Peace senioritas...hope you have a good morning :)
<3mel

___

Mom don't worry I'm fine!!! Obvs I'm gonna get nervous at times. Lol, silly goose-a-loose ;)

Ok I can't write long bc I have to go meet the guy for my apartment now and then make the hour plus, 2-bus trek to Ikea. I had to go downtown today to open my bank account and by the time I down there after moving all my luggage.....well its now. I'm just getting directions to it now from the Protocol office and then will be leaving after the house stuff. I don't think I'll get to bed tonight until 2 or 3. I didn't sleep yesterday either--I think from all the caffeine from the day lol--so its gonna be a long day :l

And no, I'm NOT coming home!!! No way. Nothing happens overnight.

Mel

PS thanks again :)

___

Hey!!
Ok I can't talk too long bc I have lots to do...but I had to fill you in :) I'm actually not in Hampstead--waaaaayyy too expensive. I'm in a place called Finchley, which is actually a lot cooler than I originally thought. There's a place called Tesco up the road which is like a Fortino's/ English Orizzonte (not quite a WalMart though) and its open til 12!!! And its new and not dirty-basment feeling lol. The people around here are normal, too, which is nice. Its about a 25 min tube ride from central London and is also close to other cool London aras (i.e. Camden Town). Lets face it--I won't be going DOWNTOWN London that much--I was there yesterday and its like being at Yonge and Dundas or Champs d'Elysses or any of those areas--busy, congested, touristy.....Beautiful and super cool, yes (very cool), but not somewhere I'd want to live. I like it better than Hampstead actually. Its less picture perfect but more real-life. I like it--a lot actually :) There's lots of work around here too which is very important.
The peeps in my house are really nice and relaly cool. There's couple from New Zealand--her name is Renee and the guy is Kodie. There are two other girls from Australia, Tennille and Katherine who are also super nice and super cool. Last night I used one girl's pillow and hair dryer and another offered me her pillow and a blanket.....they told me not to go to Ikea bc it was too far/ late and they'd lend me what I needed. How sweet eh?

I didn't drink :l Wasted the calories on food insetad bc I was starving---a chicken burrito (it was fried lol) and fries. I needed something hot....and it was sooooooo good! 'Chips' are yummy here :). But there's a Cdn guy here who's friends of the renter guy who's leaving for Egypt tomorrow so I told him tonight we're drinking :) What else what else.....I'm gonna go look up the gym I found now...Virgin Active. Its about 42 pounds a month though :l Whatever, I have to....I'm exited to actually. A new gym is DEF going to be a part of my new life :)

___

Hey,

I can't talk long now bc I'm only leaving now for IKEA (its like 1pm :l).It took me forever to unpack and get organized last night and then bc, get this--the heat turn OFF over night and during the day--I woke up freezing lol. I slept with all my long underwear, my afghan and coat over me, my scarf, my hoodie on my head.....but I was still freezing. Picture Cameron Diaz in 'The Holiday'--but tired and totally un-glamorous :l I finally fell back asleep and didn't wake until 10 then had to shower, make breakfast/ lunch and all of that. In any case, I needed the sleep--I was super tired. I'll write back when I can about IKEA....I prob won't be able to today though (I'm at Protocol now and it'll prob be closed by the time I get back).......I think I am only going to start on Monday.....I have lots to do and everyday I find out that I've forgotten something (or something else comes up). Plus I still feel very flustered/ all over the place/ mentally unsettled.....Do you think its ok if I wait? Talk soon!!!

Mel


PS My room feels like home already :) Its very organized lol. If someone were to look at the row of toiletries in my closet they'd think I have OCD.

PPS I had a real coffee this morning (I bought Lavazza espresso last night). I even warmed up milk on the stove (left over from my oatmeal/ porridge lol). It tasted like heaven :)

PPPS It snowed AGAIN last night. There is officially more snow here than in Canada. But it looks so pretty. My room has a view of our little backyard/ patio and it looks so nice :) When I can I'm going to send you all the pictures I have so far of everything....I just need to figure out how to do that lol.

PPPPS Miss you guys

___

hey!!!

Ok so i went to IKEA yesterday and it took ALLLL day. I was able to take the tube after all, but still....it was a process. and it took long there, too. coming home was even better--carrying two huge, heavy IKEA bags on the subway, up and down escalators, down icy sidewalks. my biceps are killing me lol. and when i got home i had to go out 2 more times for groceries and stuff. oh well. i spent 135 pounds there :l I did use my credit crad, after all. but just as a precaution. i have enough money (i counted it before, but i figured i would take your advice--i mean, its not always that bad ;)). i got the 12.99 floral sheets that you said were 'sweet' and the cheap ones that star with an M as a backup. and i got all the other stuff, too....includiung two cheaper pillows to use as throw pillows. i couldn't resist--the sets come with 4 cases, so i had to :) And Mom, that list was totally clutch, I had NOOOO idea where to start. I would've been a complete disaster without it. So thanks :) You saved me, yet again lol. I also bought a desk lamp for 6.99 and light bulbs for my night table bc the light in my room isn't the greatest. OH!! And i got a little plant-holder-pot bottom, too. When i came home i put one of the sink cloths on it--folded nicely of course--and now our little Liana and Melissa bunnies have a new little home, too :)

and now i'm trying not to cry :( what a sap :(

Right now I'm writing to you from my new gym!!!! Its the Virgin Active I told you about. It costs more than I thought though: 65 pounds a month :l You get 2 months free though, so its really only 54 pounds a month. I know, Mom, you're freaking out right now, but all gyms in England cost this much (i looked them up). And if they don't, they're super small and cramped and you can't get a machine. Plus, I budgeted for this anyways (and who's kidding who, this was going to happen anyway). But honestly......it is beautiful here. I have NEVER seen even HALFof the equipment they have. Get this: you get a key when you start that fits into all the machines (like a smart key) that remembers the weight you did last, the reps, suggests things, tracks your running/ cardio, stores any running routines you create if you like so you don't have to fiddle with the machine at all, etc. And when you're done your workout, you put the key into this other machine and it tells you all the calories you burned and gives you a workout summary. How cool is that?!!! There's also this new vibrating machine that you can do stuff on that tenses and untenses your muscles so you're workout on it is that much more effective than when you do the same things on regular machines (apparently Madonna and Gwenyth Paltrow are big into it lol), a sick pool that is always open--even when classes are going on, 100+ classes a week (spinning, aerobics, pilates, zumba, yoga)....and its all included. AND there are comps here with free internet (obvs lol). Plus, its only one tube stop--or a 25 min walk, as I discovered today, away. I feel like I'm in heaven lol. And Liana--the guy credited guest passes to my account and I'm saving them for you, so you better hurry up and get your skinny little bum over here!!!! I need my workout buddy back :(

I'm going to go now and see about my phone. The pay as you go is way too much and I don't want to buy any more credits for it and I'm out right now as it is. I'm also going to look into monthly tube passes. I have a feeling that its the most economical thing when you're ALWAYS on it (and I checked in my London book and it said most people do that anways). At least then its unlimited. Buses aren't that expensive, but the tube is. It cost me 5 pounds to go to IKEA and back yesterday, which is about 9 dollars. It was about a 45 min train ride total, and I'm sure I can expect the same for some of my jobs too.

Ok, time to go--lots still to do. I'll check back again tomorrow morning after my first workout :)

Love you guys lots and miss you even more :( Its ok being on my own all day but when I came home last night I wished I wasn't. I know it takes time, and I'll ge there.....I ran around all day and then came home and had nothing to do or anyone to really talk to so I just felt like I had to keep going, working and unpacking my room even though I was beat. So then I drank 3/4 of a bottle of wine and chatted with the guys a bit and then went back to my room, did some more stuff, and went to bed. I have a feeling next week, when I start working, is going to be tough....another new routine to establish, kinks to work-out (when do I make my lunch? after the gym at night or in the morning? when do i prepare my clothes? what makes the most sense? lol) Like I said, time.

But I miss you. My room is almost ready for visitors :) I'm not making it this pretty just for me, you know :)

<3>___

Hey

I can't talk long today bc I have a lot to do. I'm at Protocol now and my UK crim ref came through so I can start work with them in this area--as opposed to the East, where they're not as picky about having it--next week. I already have something for Thurs too. I told them I registered with another company and that seems to have put a fire under them lol. Plus, I'd rather work with them bc they're soo close....and they're all really friendly :)--NEW DEVELOPMENT--Sanza just called me and offered me Guaranteed Work, all in my area, up and down my subway line. I took it. When I leave here I'll call back and tell them. I can't turn down guaranteed work. I'll look into both companies more at the gym internet and talk to my flatmates about it too. Some of them have been working with Protocol too......I don't know. I need to look into it more.

Ok, what else.....it wasn't underwear, it was my LONG underwear that I think stained the clothes. I didn't think they would bc they're a silky material. My bad. I'll try the bleach thing, but when I looked yesterday at the supermarket I didn't SEE any bleach. I don't know if they have it here.....I'll look into it. Its only my bra that bothers me. Oh well, I'll just wear it under dark clothes and when I have the money buy another cotton one for under lighter things.

We are* going out tonight---I think only 3 of us though. One of the girls asked me last night if I was still up for it :) As far as eating goes, I have salads and sandwiches--salads with that seasfood I told you about and sandwiches with light cream cheese and tzatziki and lettuce (one slice, toasted). And I bought pb yesterday....but its not good. One girl saw me at it in the kitchen yesterday and, from down the hall, aksed me if I was eating peanut butter and kind of laughed. Chirst, already eh? And already they're noticing. I think I'm gonna throw it out before it gets me into trouble ;)

Alright, if I think of anything else I'll write back later. I am def feeling more settled today. My bed is made and I even did some cleaning in the house this morning. I showed one of the gils how to use the coffee machine last night and she def used it this morning--I could smell it lol. Smelled so good to wake up to. She even likes brown sugar too and was happy when I showed it to her lol.

Peace out!!!

Mel

___

Thats it for now.....if you've made it this far, I'm impressed lol.

Chat soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.