Thursday, December 8, 2011

I'm late/ I'm late / For a very important date

Life is about change; about moving on.

I agree.
But I disagree, too.

I recently traded in my 08 white Rabbit for a 2012 black Golf. Nothing terribly exciting or life-changing...seemingly.

Anyone who has known me at any point during the past 4 years knows that I LOVED my white Rabbit--like, a lot. She was my best friend in the whole world (sorry, real-life friends). She was there when I started my very first Big Girl job; she was there in teacher's college (thanks to Mom-Sac's generosity lol); she waited patiently for me when I was in Italy and then London, and readily opened her doors to me upon my return(s). She's seen me cry, she's heard me sing (she has super-tinted windows ;)); she's kept me company when I've been lonely; she's listened when I've needed to talk; she's kept me safe...she's made me feel safe. She was always there.

And then, for practical (read: silly ) reasons, I gave her back; I gave her up. Now, I know how ridiculous this sounds. I mean, this is a car I'm talking about right? And a car is a completely inanimate object. As much as I love her, I know my White Rabbit cannot, and never could, think or feel. Reason tells me this.

But here's the thing: I am not always a reasonable person.

Maybe life isn't just about moving on. Maybe life is about love--about unconditional love. About seeing things through. And not just things either, but people and relationships and goals and pursuits. Even when they're getting a little older, or when their warranty is up--when there's no guarantee anymore, or when they show you anything but their best side; even when they need fixing. Sometimes we have to let go, yes. But sometimes, other times, we have to hold on. Even when it gets harder, and even when it'd be more practical (read: easier) to not.

I got a letter in the mail from VW Finance yesterday. Apparently, instead of owing money at the end of my lease, I'll be getting some back (and a good amount, at that). My Rabbit ended up being sold for more than it was worth and the profit is mine to keep. I was so concerned about being practical and looking ahead, and got so caught up in the idea and excitement of my next Best thing, that I totally lost sight of what was already in front of me.

I may have a black Golf...but I'll always be my White Rabbit <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.