Tuesday, May 17, 2016

You know, I really love writing. A lot. Whenever I finish writing something (a something that is important to me), I feel like....that's it; like, I've figured it out; or, like I've said my piece; or even like, I've explained it perfectly. That's not to say I have, but that's how I feel. 

When you write, whatever it is that you are feeling or thinking becomes real. I mean, its right there, on paper--for everyone to see. Which is sometimes (a lot of the time) a scary thing, yes. But it's also so liberating. 

I hide behind my writing. I know I do. I hide behind words. But, that being said, I write my truth. My words speak my truth. My truth. So maybe instead of it being about hiding, it's about expressing. And hey, everyone expresses in different ways. Some people write, some people play a musical instrument, some people make art, and some people talk. It's not the 'how' that matters so much as the 'what'.

I don't write all the time. It's actually quite a rare occurrence. In an age (and in a job) where most of our days are spent in front of a computer or on a phone, I have come to HATE writing in most circumstances. At work, I am much more likely to pick up the phone and call someone, or walk over to have a chat. Sometimes writing is so....tedious. I only like writing when something meaningful is being shared or exchanged. And I LOVE that kind of writing. 

Writing also requires inspiration. Any person who writes with the intention of sharing or exchanging is thinking of one thing only: someone else. You see, people don't write for themselves (why would they? They already know themselves). No. They write for someone else. It's a someone else that provides the context in which that expression can happen. And maybe even the context in which the writer comes to know that they have something to express.

I have only written, with any real commitment, at two points in my life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.