Friday, April 14, 2017

the dress (not a dress)

In a few weeks, I get to be the maid of honour at my best friend's wedding :) And I can't wait! I mean, it's a great responsibility so I am also very nervous....but beyond excited at the same time. 

Liana has decided to let all of her bridesmaids choose their own dress, shoes, hairstyles and makeup. And I love this idea. Not only because it flies in the face of convention (which I detest), but also because it gives each person who is participating a higher degree of freedom: freedom to make their own choices; freedom to be who they are on that day (as on all others); and the freedom to express both of the above....well, freely! This says a lot about Liana, too. Why wouldn't you want the people standing next to you--at your wedding and in life--to be the most authentic versions of themselves, at all times?

All this being said, finding the perfect dress was a bitch. Choice will do that do a person--make them re-evaluate everything, from their personal style to who they are as a person. One thing is for sure, though: I need to shop alone. We had a group shopping session a few weeks back and Liana even said to me later that she knew I wouldn't find anything that day. I am the kind of person who wanders in and out of stores, seemingly aimlessly. To the casual observer, it would appear that I have ADD. But, as is usually (but not always) the case, there is a method to my madness. 

From the moment I walk in to a store, I can tell if I will find something. I don't have to look through the racks or even walk a full lap. I just know. On the other hand, when I walk into a store and get that feeling I usually do not leave empty handed. 

Naturally, I went to the one place that never disappoints: Yorkdale. I tried a few things on (more out of a sense of anxiousness than anything else), but nothing was really calling to me. I walked by one store I had not seen before that looked expensive and, as I glanced inside, saw a dress that immediately caught my eye. Knowing it would likely be quite pricey, I chose to not go in. And so I continued my shopping and checked out every other worthwhile store. 

Nothing. 

On my way back to my car I decided to go into that first store. I couldn't find the dress that I saw, but did find another that I kind of liked, so I tried it on. I actually really liked it and the salesgirl I was chatting with was about to grab it for me in another colour when she told me that there was one more that she thought I would like. Within minutes, she appeared holding The Dress that I had seen no less than an hour before. There was no mistaking it now--this was the dress for me. I loved it from the second I saw it. It was elegant, classically cut, well-made; pretty in a way so few dresses are nowadays. Slightly reminiscent of the 60s in its cut....ugh, just beautiful. I loved it. And I bought it. Despite the fact that it was expensive and despite the fact that there was a no-refund policy (so no room for regret). Because when you find something you love, you don't hesitate. 

This is me, in a nutshell. This experience is so representative of me. There is no in-between: I either love something or I have no interest in it. And I know what I love immediately. If I need to be convinced (by myself or others), than it's not for me. I would rather sacrifice and have less if it means having those few things that I truly prize; than have a million, less perfect, mores. 


http://us.sandro-paris.com/en/womens/dresses/2-in-1-dress-with-pearls/R5071E.html?dwvar_R5071E_color=60#start=1



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.